1928-1949

The first missionaries began working in Brazil in 1928. In 1935, the Brazilian Mission was established with headquarters in São Paulo. Missionary work was difficult at first; its humble beginnings were in the southern part of Brazil working mainly with German immigrants in places like Ipomeia and Joinville. In 1939, missionaries began learning Portuguese and the work expanded into many of the larger cities in the south and southeast regions of the country. However, missionary work was interrupted by World War II as new missionaries were not called during the war. After the war, missionaries soon began to arrive again.